.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

DIDGE - The View From Down Under

An Aussie’s ridgy-didge view of world affairs and popular culture.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Obligatory Oscar post

I’ve never been a huge fan of the Oscar Awards. So many stupid decisions over the years (such as Julia Roberts beating Ellen Burstyn) have resulted in me caring very little for it. But since this year there was an unusually high emphasis on good American films I had a little peak (and the fact that I’m a squealing Jon Stewart fan might have had a hand in it). I haven’t seen Brokeback yet, but I’m pleased Crash won best picture. But my favourite speech would have to be Ang Lee’s:

"Their names are Ennis and Jack, and they taught all of us who made Brokeback Mountain so much about not just the gay men and women whose love is denied by society but, just as important, the greatness of love itself."
Am I the only person who found Reese Witherspoon's speech to be agonisingly twee? I love the girl, but I mean, damn!

And while I’m talking about films, I have to mention that I watched Wong Kar Wai’s Happy Together last week. What a sumptuous, moody and intelligent film!

1 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://gongfu.com.ua - Visit us or die!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home