.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

DIDGE - The View From Down Under

An Aussie’s ridgy-didge view of world affairs and popular culture.

Monday, February 27, 2006

The War on Australian Culture

Costello faces backlash over dual citizenship comments

The Treasurer Peter Costello set off a hue-and-cry today after a speech in which he said Australians with dual citizenship should be stripped of their Australian papers if they don't respect this country's values and laws. Mr Costello particularly singled out Muslims in his remarks, saying those who advocate extremism should move to countries where they feel more comfortable.

You know, I actually agree with Mr Costello. Australia is a democracy, and we shouldn’t let people in who are not going to live by our values. I respect your right to have an opinion and to express it, but that doesn’t give you the right to force that opinion on everyone else. So if you want gay marr- sorry, Sharia law, then get out of this democracy.

But I don’t think Mr Costello’s speech went far enough. I’ve heard that there are these Christian Extremists who don’t have sex until they are married! No sex at all until they’re hitched! I know it’s hard to believe, but they do exist. And really, if having a drunken bonk on the beach with some stranger on the Gold Coast isn’t Australian culture, then I don’t know what is. So I’m writing a letter to Peter Costello to urge him to deport all Christians who don’t have sex before marriage. I’m just really worried that their extremist attitudes will affect Australia’s liberal shagging values.

Then will we have to deport all Buddhists and vegetarians and vegans. The great Aussie barbeque, sizzling meat of all kinds, fried eggs and bacon for breakfast, and a late night kebab. These all say ‘Mate, that’s bloody Australian’ to me, and anyone against the consumption of meat or animal products needs to be deported right away. Oh, and get rid of all Hindus, too. They don’t eat hamburgers. Or, apparently, have sex on the beach with boozed-up floozies. We need to save our culture!

2 Comments:

At 12:49 AM, Blogger Christopher said...

I'm a dual nation -- Italian/American. I acquired my Italian citizenship thru my grandparents back in the late 1990's.

I did it primarily for ease of travel when in the EU. Plus, I figure if, God forbid, our plane is hijacked and the hijackers look at passports, they would no doubt shoot the Americans before the Italians.

Plus, having the two passports gives me a greater sense of my Italian heritage. When you grow up in the states, but your customs are from a far away land (in my case Italy), you never really feel like you fit into the American mix.

It's hard to describe.

 
At 4:09 AM, Blogger dave128 said...

When you grow up in the states, but your customs are from a far away land (in my case Italy), you never really feel like you fit into the American mix.

I can see how that would be confusing.

But it's good, from the sound of your post, that your family didn't dilute Italian culture for you. And what a rich and diverse culture you come from. :)

And as you say, dual-citizenship has practical purposes, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home